What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Many people are afraid of going to the dentist. But when your fears prevent you from receiving important dental care, there’s a good chance your oral health will suffer. The good news is that even the most fearful patient can receive necessary dental treatment with the help of sedation dentistry. Keep reading to learn more about sedation dentistry and how it can help you overcome your anxiety to achieve the healthy smile you deserve.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and easy way for patients to undergo a variety of dental procedures without fear. The process enables fearful patients to relax and receive the treatments they need in order to maintain sound oral health.
There are various levels and types of sedation. The most common types of sedation administered by dentists include:
- Mild sedation. Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the lightest form of sedation used, which produces a very mild sense of relaxation. Recovery is quick, and patients can resume normal activities immediately.
- Moderate sedation. Oral sedation for dental work is a more moderate form of sedation, which is administered in pill form. The patient will feel drowsy and very relaxed during the procedure.
- Deep sedation. The deepest form of sedation is IV sedation dentistry. This type of sedation uses pain-relieving and sedative drugs to create a relaxed, sleeplike state. Patients remain conscious throughout treatment and can communicate with the doctor, but remember little or none of their dental experience.
Why Would Someone Need Sedation Dentistry?
Individuals who experience dental anxiety often delay their appointments or avoid going to the dentist altogether. The reality is that when routine dental care is neglected, patients are at a much higher risk for serious oral health problems, including gum disease, tooth decay and tooth loss. Sedation dentistry helps patients overcome all of their concerns so that they are able to comfortably and confidently sit through procedures that they need while simultaneously improving the health of their teeth, gums and mouth.
Who Can Benefit From Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry encourages patients who normally experience anxiety about dental treatment to seek regular care. It also allows the dentist to perform multiple procedures in a single visit. In some cases, patients who require years’ worth of dental work can have it all completed in just hours through sedation dentistry.
You may benefit from sedation dentistry if you have:
- an intense fear or anxiety about visiting the dentist
- a difficult time sitting through lengthy procedures
- trouble getting and staying numb from anesthetics
- a low pain tolerance
- sensitive teeth
- a sensitive gag reflex
- a significant amount of dental work that you need completed
Stress-Free Dentistry at Grove Dental
Are you ready to overcome your dental fears? Quality, comfortable dentistry is available for everyone —even if you have avoided dental treatment for years. In addition to providing a comfortable, friendly office atmosphere, Grove Dental offers sedation dentistry to help our patients receive the care they need for a lifetime of healthy smiles. If you want to improve your oral health, but you have fears surrounding dental care, contact Grove Dental today to schedule a consultation, or learn more about your options by exploring our website.